The Driscoll Theory
Interested in the work of Dr. Diana Driscoll?
“ Although this book was completed 8 years ago, it is still ground-breaking today! “The Driscoll Theory” was confirmed years ago, but many doctors still don’t know of the propensity for high intracranial pressure, abnormal inflammation, and vagus nerve problems in patients with POTS. I’m here to change how POTS is evaluated and treated! Remember that POTS is not a disease — it is a sign of an underlying medical condition that must be identified and treated to allow patients to recover. You do not need to live with POTS!” — Dr. Diana Driscoll
“Dr. Diana’s pioneering research has changed my life for the better. I’m amazed at both how fast and how much my symptoms improved after following her advice. You are a hero. Your work is fantastic and really shines a floodlight of reason and understanding on this strange journey through a dark wilderness that is EDS. Thank you so much.” — Kurt Ostergaard
“Dr. Diana’s Theory provides a wide range of scientific information that can be used for any type of EDS to obtain accurate information. She concisely ties science with physical symptoms, along with treatment suggestions that may help someone, along with their physician, to get help for this rarely known condition.” — M. Eastin Jr, A.S. Biology LSU-E
“Dr. Diana has opened up a whole new world of science and set me on a path of discovery to a point where everything finally made sense.” — Samantha
Table of Contents
CHAPTER 1: EDS/POTS – A PARADIGM SHIFT
- What is Dysautonomia and “POTS”?
- Overview of Intracranial Pressure
- The Role of High Intracranial Pressure:
- The Role of Low Intracranial Pressure:
- Diagnosing and Treating Abnormal CSF Flow:
- Mast Cells and Inflammation
- Vascular Abnormalities
- The Vagus Nerve
- Patient Position in EDS/POTS
CHAPTER 2 : INTRACRANIAL PRESSURE – A CLOSER LOOK
- Why so Much Confusion?
- CSF Flow
- High Intracranial Pressure in Children
- Non-Surgical Treatment
- Options for IIH (or External Communicating Hydrocephalus)
CHAPTER 3: MAST CELLS -- AND WHY THEIR CONTROL ISN’T THE COMPLETE ANSWER
- Looking Beyond Mast Cells
CHAPTER 4: THE ROLE OF VASCULAR ABNORMALITIES
- Fundus Examination of EDS Patients
- Vagus Nerve Compression by High Venous Pressure
- EDS/POTS and Endovascular Procedures (“CCSVI” Treatment)
CHAPTER 5: NEW THINKING
- Shift in EDS/POTS Treatment
- Dr. Diana’s Top Picks
- New Bugs
- Acquired Collagen Damage
CHAPTER 6: WHAT WENT WRONG WITH EDS/POTS
- Where Have We Failed With EDS/POTS?
- What Can be Done for Patients Suffering Today?
CHAPTER 7: VALIDATING THE PATIENT
- Part 1: Family, Spouses, Doctors and Self
- The Problem of Invalidation
- Strength to Go On
- Part 2: Tips and Tools For Resiliency
- Tools in the Toolbox
- Hope for the Future/Acceptance
- Suggested Reading
CHAPTER 8: A PHYSICIAN’S PERSONAL PERSPECTIVE
- A Message to EDSers
- A Message to Physicians
- Looking Forward
CHAPTER 9: GLUTEN AND EHLERS-DANLOS SYNDROME
- Navigating The Many Ways Gluten Can Impact Your Health
- Autoimmune reaction to Gluten- Celiac Disease
- Gluten Intolerance
- Wheat Allergy
- Gluten Maldigestion
- Gluten Chemical Reaction
CHAPTER 10: THE PATIENTS SPEAK
- Emily’s Story
- My Story
- A Letter From Asher
- Our Journey to a Diagnosis
- I Have My Life Back
- The Ten Year Headache
- Our Journey for Hope
- My Son’s Journey
CHAPTER 11: DIAMOX PEARLS
- Common Side Effects
- Adverse effects:
- Uncommon Contraindications
- Clinical Pearls
- Our Research and “Invisible Illness”
- Information on Testing and Treatment of EDS/POTS
ABOUT THE MEDICAL AUTHORS
- Diana Driscoll, O.D.
- Sharon Meglathery, M.D.
- Christine Doherty, N.D.
- Joao Paulo Ferreira, M.D.
- Ananya De, Ph.D.
- James Pazun, Ph.D.
TABLE OF FIGURES
At POTS Care, it’s personal!
“You and your kids need neck fusions, Chiari surgeries, lumbar punctures and brain shunts. Drink lots of water, eat lots of salt, take pain medication and antidepressants.”
At POTS Care, we now know that these treatments are often ineffective.
“In many patients, invasive surgeries can be evaded (or limited), progression of the condition can be arrested, and disability can be avoided.”
– Dr. Diana Driscoll
Meet Our Patients
“I got immediate relief for constipation, surprisingly. Also, the energy that I had, I mean I can feel it today… I feel really focused and the mental clarity I have…”
“After suffering from idiopathic constipation and intermittent fatigue for 7 years, and after ~$100K worth of inconclusive doctor visits… Dr. Driscoll is the only doctor I met who has a good handle on this condition.”
Just Diagnosed with POTS?
The Top 4 Must-Dos
The Top 4 things I would do first if my children or I were just diagnosed with POTS
Get Your Life Back